When purchasing a juicer for your home, you’re going to have two essential options: centrifugal and masticating. The centrifugal juicer is the one that you’re probably most familiar with. This kind of juicer uses blades to break up fruits and vegetables, all while centrifugal (spinning) force separates the juice from the pulp – i.e. in the same manner as a food processor.
While effective, the centrifugal method of juicing is far less effective than masticating. Through the masticating juicer method, fruits and vegetables are compressed and then slowly churned, deriving the highest amount of juice possible. Best of all, the slow work of a masticating juicer – which mimics the human mouth – brings little air and friction into the equation. Because of this, there’s little oxidization and heat generated, something that helps dramatically in preserving the nutritional and antioxidant content of your fruits and vegetables.
We’re confident that we’ve identified three masticating juicers that we can put our name behind in three separate categories. For those looking to get their feet wet, we’ve identified a solid machine, the Gourmia GSJ-200, which should meet the needs of the average consumer who’s not looking to break the bank. Speaking overall in terms of value abnd price, we believe that the SKG New Generation is the best overall masticating juicer. And for those of you who are willing to pay top dollar for the absolute best, we’ve selected the Hurom Alpha Series H-AA, which offers unmatched style and quality.
You can read our reviews for these masticating juicers below. We’ll also discuss the methodology behind our selections, as well as what the various pros and cons are for each model that we’ve selected.
Table of Contents
Why You Should Trust Our Masticating Juicer Reviews
Even if you opt for a budget-priced masticating juicer, there can be little doubt that you’re making a significant investment. Even at the low end of the market, a masticating juicer can cost around $100, and higher-end and more feature-rich machines can cost up to $500 or possibly even more.
Therefore, we understand that if you’re purchasing a masticating juicer, you want to make sure you’re buying the right one for your needs. That’s why we’ve put dozens of these machines through their paces, seeing how they deal with even the most stubborn fruits and vegetables.
In addition, we also understand that the opinions of these machine’s many users count too. That’s why we’ve surveyed a number of different masticating juicer reviews provided by average consumers like those available on Amazon and elsewhere. In addition, we’ve also checked in with leading publications and blogs to see what they’ve had to say about the masticating juicers we tested.
How We Chose the Best Masticating Juicers
As with any other consumer product, there are a number of things you want to take into account when conducting a masticating juicer review. In the interest of transparency, here are the different factors that we considered when testing various machines:
- The Look: A masticating juicer is going to occupy some countertop real estate. Because of this, you want a juicer that doesn’t just work well; it should also look good too!
- Design: How the machine is put together counts, too. In this category, we looked into the actual feel of the machine, as well as how easy it is to operate and to clean.
- Efficiency: You’re spending top dollar for a masticating juicer because you want a machine that extracts the most juice possible. Therefore, we looked into how these machines performed here.
- Shelf Life: Thanks to low heat and oxidization, juices made with masticating juicers can last up to 72 hours. However, some masticating juicers are better than others in this department.
- Noise: It seems like a small thing, but the noise that a machine makes will definitely affect your enjoyment. We loo into this with each masticating juicer we review.
- Additional Functionality: Believe it or not, you can get a lot of mileage out of some masticating juicers. In fact, some of them can double as pasta makers and even machines that can make nut butters.
- Durability: When you’re spending this much on a kitchen appliance, you want something that’s going to stand up to repeated use. We looked into how well these machines can hold up.
- Warranty: Still, even the best-built masticating juicer can break down over time, particularly if you use it often. We weighed the manufacturer’s warranty when deciding upon our picks.
These are the metrics that we used in our reviews of masticating juicers. Overall, though, we weighed all of these factors against price in order to assess the total value of each machine. This is what has allowed us to offer picks for the budget, luxury and overall categories.
Our Budget Masticating Juicer Pick: Gourmia GSJ-200 Masticating Slow Juicer
With an MSRP of only $109.99 and typically discounted to merely $99.99, there’s no denying that the Gourmia GSJ-200 Masticating Slow Juicer is one of the cheapest masticating juicers on the market. But, don’t let the low price point deceive you! You’ll find that this machine operates with a level of efficiency and is as easy to use as some machines that are more than twice its price. That’s why we’ve selected it as our best budget masticating juicer.
With its auger operating at an exceptionally low 62 RPM, and thus introducing less friction and air into the equation, the Gourmia GSJ-200 produces juice that’s rich in the antioxidants and nutrients you want. However, do keep in mind that as a budget option on this list, the juice yield is lower with this machine that it will be with our best overall pick and our luxury pick. Still, the juicing efficiency is greater than similarly price centrifugal juicers and even those that are significantly more expensive.
The main body of the machine is made from stainless steel, which has been used by the manufacturer in order to minimize noise during operation. The rest of the machine is made of plastic, which has an okay quality but wouldn’t be considered thick and truly durable. On the plus side, all of the main components of the machine easily detach, which makes cleaning relatively easy. In fact, each component, excluding the machine body itself is dishwasher safe.
When feeding the machine, you will need to break down some of your fruits and vegetables on your own. This is due to the size of the food chute, which measures at only 1.5 inches. Still, the juicer itself is capable of handling most fruits and vegetables you’ll throw its way. However, you might find difficult with more fibrous fruits and vegetables, including ginger and celery, which can get caught in the works.
One place where you’ll really feel the low-cost of this masticating juicer is in the warranty, which is only a limited one-year warranty. Still, websites like Amazon offer extended protection plans of up to 3 years, if you’d like to protect your purchase further.
While the Gourmia GSJ-200 has some shortcoming and does not offer additional functionalities like the other two masticating juicers we’ve reviewed, it does an excellent job for the price. That’s why we’ve selected it has our best budget masticating juicer; it’s perfect for someone who wants to try juicing out but who doesn’t want to make a huge financial commitment.
But don’t just take our word for it! Check out the three following masticating juicer reviews to see what others have had to say about the Gourmia GSJ-200:
- Cookware Reviews: “[The] Gourmia GSJ-200 juicer … succeeds in getting high customer attention because of its super performance as far as nutritional full extraction is concerned.”
- Smart Cook Nook: “With the Gourmia GSJ200, you will have all the independence and the flexibility and freshness in your glass compared to the factory made juice variety…”
- Product Gal: “I recently received the Gourmia GSJ200 Masticating Juicer, I must say, this is one powerful machine!”
If you’re interested in picking up the Gourmia GSJ-200, you can visit Amazon, where the product (as of this writing) is currently on sale for $99.99.
Our Best Masticating Juicer Pick: SKG New Generation
In terms of best overall value for a masticating juicer, we’re putting out word behind the SKG New Generation, which offers the features of much expensive juicers at a fraction of the price. With an MSRP of $299.99, this masticating juicer doesn’t come cheaply. However, you’ll find that its list of features makes the price jump from our budget pick well worth it.
Speaking of the machine’s design, this thing is a beast, weighing in at 23 pounds. For most, this will mean that this is a masticating juicer that will remain parked on your counter. However, if you ever have a need to move the machine, there is a convenient handle that you can take advantage of. All of the components, from the stainless steel body to the silicon detachable pieces are made from material that reduces oxidization and that has been certified by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
For the avid juicer, one thing that will really stand out is the wide-mouth food chute. Measuring at 3 inches in diameter, you can juice most large fruits and vegetables without the need to break them down. However, do note that this machine has a little trouble with more fibrous fruits and vegetables like ginger and carrots. With those, it’s recommend that you break them down along the grain before feeding them into the machine.
When it comes to yield, this masticating juicer truly excels. With juicing staples, you can expect to juice with an efficiency of close to 90%. When feeding in more fibrous and dense vegetables, things take a hit, but that’s to be expected. The fact that this machine can juice carrots with an efficiency of around 47% is definitely a selling point.
For cleaning, the bad news is that the components are not dishwasher safe. However, they all come apart quickly, and each is large enough to be washed by hand quite easily. Speaking of components, this machine also comes with attachments that can be used for making sorbet and also with ones that you can use to produce your own homemade tofu!
The high quality of the product, the efficiency with which it juices, and the added functionality are way we’ve rated the SKG New Generation our best overall value. This product is protected by a 2-year full warranty and a 10-year limited warranty. In addition, when you buy this masticating juicer from Amazon, you also get a 1-month risk-free trial. It’s hard to do better than that!
If you’d like to see what other people have had to say about the SKG New Generation, then just check out these other masticating juicer reviews:
- Juicing G: “If you were in the market for a juicer a year ago, a wide mouth vertical masticating juicer would cost close to $400 courtesy of Kuvings. Now you can buy a similar product for under $300 thanks to the SKG Wide Chute juicer.”
- Best Cold Pressed Juicers: “If you’re serious about getting the most out of your juicing experience, a masticating juicer is what you should get and the SKG New Generation Wide Chute Juicer is probably one of the best picks in the market today.”
- Heavy: “An advanced motor, which rotates at 60 RPM, is the hallmark feature of this juicer. The motor offers just the right balance of time and force, ensuring higher juice yield and optimal end results…”
Our Luxury Masticating Juicer Pick: Hurom Alpha Series H-AA Slow Juicer
If money is no object and you’re looking for the ultimate luxury masticating juicer, then our choice is without a doubt the Hurom Alpha Series H-AA Slow Juicer. At an MSRP of $439.00, this masticating juicer doesn’t come cheaply, however you’ll find that everything from its looks to its list of features makes it well worth the price of entry.
What will really stand out to you the first time you lay eyes on this masticating juicer is the way that it looks. Sleek black and beautifully contoured, this machine is easy on the eyes and would look good on the countertop of almost any kitchen. However, if you’d like to be able to store this juicer in between uses, then you’ll find that its relative light-weight (around 10 pounds) makes it easy to move from here and there.
While it’s true that you shouldn’t just a book by it’s cover, you’d be permitted to in this case, because this machine has the skills to pay the bills. Most importantly, it has a high-quality auger that operates a blisteringly slow 43 RPM. This allows the Hurom Alpha Series H-AA Slow Juicer to really extract the most juice possible from your fruits and vegetables. Simply put, of the three reviews of masticating juicers here, this machine far and away offers the highest yield. In fact, it does so while also being one of the quietest masticating juicers we reviewed, too!
Best of all, this machine can handle even the toughest fruits and vegetables with incredible easy. No matter what you throw its way, from ginger to wheatgrass, you’ll find that the Hurom Alpha Series H-AA Slow Juicer is equal to the task. As a matter of fact, the machine can also be used for a variety of purposes other than juicing. For example, you can use it to make everything from tofu to nut butters and even iced cream. You can even create your own homemade soymilk if you wish!
Although the individual components of the machine are not dishwasher safe, they’re incredibly easy to clean by hand. In fact, the machine comes packed with two brushes, which you can use to scrape out even the most hard-to-get-to residues. However, it was our experience (and many other users report) that if you simply rinse the components in between juicing, you’ll never have trouble keeping this machine clean and in tip-top form!
Overall, though, we still stand behind out pick for the best overall masticating juicer, the SKG New Generation. While the price point for this model does offer some benefits in terms of performance, the real jump in price point is definitely due to the aesthetic. As said, if you’re looking for a luxury juicer, this is it. Otherwise, if you’re looking for the best all-around, then we’d recommend going with the SKG New Generation.
If you’d like to read what other’s have had to say about the Hurom Alpha Series H-AA Slow Juicer, then check out these reviews:
- CNET: “The Hurom H-AA Slow Juicer effectively extracts liquid from citrus and hard fruits and vegetables. The cold-press juicer also runs quietly compared with noisy centrifugal machines.”
- Juicing for Health: “Considering all the good features of the juicer, the Hurom H-AA is priced to be a top range juicer, and this particular model is expected to be Hurom’s next best seller.”
- Juicing Journal: “The Hurom H-AA Alpha Series Slow Juicer introduces an improved technology that optimizes the taste and quality of the extracted juice.”
After reading this masticating juicer review, if you’d like to purchase one for yourself, you can check them out on Amazon here!