You know when there’s just something missing from your living room? You have the sofa, and the coffee table, but there’s just something….. There’s that space over there. You need a good accent chair – or maybe two depending on the room.
A nice accent chair will add extra seating when you have guests but also can be a decorative flair in the room. Let’s discuss some different types of accent chairs to see what would work best for your room.
Comfy but Classic
I don’t know about you, but with furniture, if I’m having trouble making up my mind, I tend to go with something simple, classic, and comfy. After all, you can always add throw pillows, blankets, or other accessories to change up the style.
1. [reviewengine_link id=”18058″ url=”https://www.amazon.com/Ashley-Furniture-Signature-Design-Clarinda/dp/B06XFX5XL6?tag=hereviews03-20″]Ashley Furniture Signature Design Clarinda Accent Chair[/reviewengine_link]
If this is your style as well, you can go with something like this chair. It fits well in any modern styled room and is a deep enough seat that your guest can lean back a bit and relax. I prefer the cream color or the gray, but you can also get it in blue or orange. These are more for a “pop” effect, which will be discussed later.
2. [reviewengine_link id=”18073″ url=”https://www.amazon.com/Stone-Beam-Lauren-Filled-Overstuffed/dp/B071FMSMH4?tag=hereviews03-20″]Stone & Beam Lauren Down Filled, Overstuffed Chair[/reviewengine_link]
If you really want your guests to be comfy, you can go with this overstuffed chair. All your guest will want to sink into this bad boy – and there is a matching ottoman. The one problem is that they might get so comfy that they never leave!
3. [reviewengine_link id=”18074″ url=”https://www.amazon.com/Signature-Design-Larkinhurst-Recliner-Leather/dp/B06Y69HRB3?tag=hereviews03-20″]Ashley Furniture Signature Design – Larkinhurst Rocker Recliner[/reviewengine_link]
If comfiness is key (and maybe a nap), you might also consider a recliner as your accent chair. Don’t be afraid to look at chairs that aren’t the classic “accent chair” style. This a nice recliner, and your guests will thank you. Plus, you can curl up in it too!
4. [reviewengine_link id=”18076″ url=”https://www.amazon.com/Pulaski-DS-2187-400-10-Upholstered-Tufted-Settee/dp/B07F236H8N?tag=hereviews03-20″]Pulaski DS-2187-400-10 Upholstered Tufted Settee Accent Chair[/reviewengine_link]
On the note of “not a classic accent chair but it works”, I’m a huge fan of settees. They are not really “chairs” per se – more like the loveseat’s more chair-like sibling. But they are a great accent piece, especially along a wall where a couple of wallflowers might hang out during a party. This is a perfect, classic example.
Words, Words, Words
Honestly, it is not for everyone, but I love those decorative items where text is used as a fun pattern. I’m not talking about those “Live, Laugh, Love” throw pillows that every girl had in their dorm room in college. I’m talking about using text as an all over print.
5. [reviewengine_link id=”18077″ url=”https://www.amazon.com/Roundhill-Furniture-Botticelli-English-Contemporary/dp/B017UM9AFG?tag=hereviews03-20″]RoundHill Furniture Botticelli English Letter Print Fabric Armless Contemporary Accent Chair[/reviewengine_link]
This is my absolute favorite example of this style. It is a gorgeous chair with French script, making it look elegant yet fun. The chair is taupe and cream, with legs in a deep espresso finish.
6. [reviewengine_link id=”18081″ url=”https://www.amazon.com/Roundhill-Furniture-English-Armless-Contemporary/dp/B01CDKB738?tag=hereviews03-20″]Roundhill Furniture Capa English Letter Print Fabric Armless Contemporary Accent Chair[/reviewengine_link]
This is another great chair that comes with this type of script pattern. It’s great because it can come with that more classic French style script or a bolder “chalkboard” writing print. Either way, it’s a simple armless chair that would go well in any room.
Make it Pop
Accent chairs are meant to be something accented in the room. It is meant to be noticeable and emphasized. The easiest, quickest way to do this is to use a bright, fun color.
7. [reviewengine_link id=”18082″ url=”https://www.amazon.com/Wingback-Tufted-Velvet-Accent-Vintage/dp/B073G9DCN8?tag=hereviews03-20″]Tall Wingback Tufted Velvet Accent Chair, Vintage Club Seat for Living Room (Navy Blue)[/reviewengine_link]
Especially when the rest of your décor is more traditional or bland, a brightly colored accent chair is the best way to throw some personality into the mix in your room. This is a perfect example. Many of the colors that this chair comes in are more reserved, but the navy blue version really pops. That deep, rich color on the velvet material makes this a pop accent to any room.
8. [reviewengine_link id=”18083″ url=”https://www.amazon.com/HomePop-K6499-B119-Velvet-Accent-Burgandy/dp/B06Y65XSXL?tag=hereviews03-20″]HomePop K6499-B119 Velvet Swoop Arm Accent Chair Burgandy[/reviewengine_link]
Remember though, this is your house. If you’re going to do a pop color chair, use your favorite color! My favorite color is red, especially a burgundy red. Looking for specifically red accent chairs, I found this beauty. It’s got a classic, simple style, but is available in colors that will really pop.
9. [reviewengine_link id=”18084″ url=”https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Scroll-Velvet-Living-Accent/dp/B015LBE936?tag=hereviews03-20″]Classic Scroll Arm Large Velvet Living Room Accent Chair in Colors Black, Red, Purple, Grey (Purple)[/reviewengine_link]
The style of the chair can be just as big of a pop as the color. It’s personally not my style, but this chair definitely makes a statement. If you’re looking to make an impression with your accent chair, that’s one way to go.
10. [reviewengine_link id=”18085″ url=”https://www.amazon.com/Great-Deal-Furniture-Roseville-Decorative/dp/B005FF9XGM?tag=hereviews03-20″]Great Deal Furniture Roseville Blue Floral Accent Lounge Chair, Decorative Club Chair in Blue Flower and Vines Pattern[/reviewengine_link]
Finally, don’t be afraid of patterns! We talked about using script patterns before, but that’s my personal style. It’s totally fine to go with whatever pattern speaks to you. There are as many patterns as you can possibly imagine. For example, if you want something fun and floral, check out this chair. Honestly, the best part about this chair to me is the adorable cartoon owl throw pillow that people often pair it with. Even without it, this chair has a fun, flirty pattern but is still on a sturdy frame for practical seating.
An accent chair is meant to both fit in with your other furniture and stand out at the same time. How you do that is of course up to you. With my décor, my favorite chair from this article is the RoundHill Furniture Botticelli English Letter Print Fabric Armless Contemporary Accent Chair
It goes perfectly with my plainer white furniture while adding its own style. However, I also really like the Stone & Beam Lauren Down Filled, Overstuffed Chairbecause it’s comfy as heck. Guests aren’t the only ones who will use my accent chairs – so excuse me while I go curl up with a good book in a comfy chair.